Thursday, November 25, 2010

Greatest American Heroes


I'm tempted to feel sorry for myself that I don't have my kids with me on this Thanksgiving. But I can't feel sorry for myself, not when I think about people serving in the military a long way from home and family.

I've met Trinidad twice, but I consider him my friend. But that's the way it is with Trin: he's the kind of guy you're lifelong friends with the instant you meet him. He's also the kind of guy who'll knock your lights out if you hurt someone he cares about. I like that about him.

Trin is fighting for his country in a foreign, war-torn land. He's also helping children and moms and dads in a foreign, war-torn land. Meanwhile, his wife and baby wait for him at home, praying that he's safe, counting the days until he's home with them at last.

Trin would probably tell you that in the heat of battle, he's fighting for his buddies to the left and to the right of him, because they're doing the same for him. Their goal is to do their jobs, yes, but really, when the people you helped yesterday are now the people shooting at you today, you're fighting for your buddies, to help get them home.

To their wives and husbands.

To their moms and dads.

To their daughters.

To their sons.

To the families they can't be with on Thanksgiving.

Or birthdays.

Or Sundays.

Thank you Trin, and thank you to everyone who has sacrificed, who has left home and family to put it all on the line because you believe in something bigger than yourself. I fear that too many of us have forgotten the sacrifices that you're making.

I am truly grateful for you. You are heroes. You are in my thoughts today.

6 comments:

  1. That was really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calie just read this to me. Thank you for saying what you did. We all fight battles. Trin finds his strength and peace in God. You are also the kind of person that friendships are built on. Happy Thanksgiving Cody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I remind my kids that those who serve to protect our freedom are heroes. I had the luxury and honor of being a peacetime reservist, but more recently worked as a DoD contractor in Norfolk where I had many active duty friends, including some SEALs. The lives they live are truly sacrificial, and I am thankful for them. I don't have my kids today either, but this weekend we will celebrate thanksgiving. I will remind my 3 little one of the real history of Thanksgiving, and that we need to keep being thankful for these heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome post Cody! I love what you had to say and so glad that you took the time to really think about what you are grateful for!! I also hope your words echo all year long.
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, I'm a woman serving in the marines and to think that in a week i leave my 5 week old son with me parents, so i can go back to work in camp pendleton, breaks my heart

    ReplyDelete