Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Imperfect

       Having kids has given me a perspective that I didn't have before. Although I think my kids are the best kids in the world, they have their moments when they don't act perfectly.  (Don't let this scare you off ladies...even at their worst, they're pretty great. And I give great back massages, in case you were wondering.) But my love for my kids is always perfect. Love, then, sees past the imperfections to the beautiful soul beneath.
       It's easy enough to see past imperfections with your own kids, but when it comes to dating or relationships, it's different. A lot different. I haven't dated the perfect girl, and I doubt she exists. Everyone has their imperfections, their shortcomings. I guess what it comes down to is whether there is enough of what you're looking for in that person that you can look past their imperfections. 
       My favorite writer, Henry David Thoreau, famously said that he knew "of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor." And if someone is continually striving to improve themselves, to overcome imperfections, what more can you ask for? Besides a nice back massage? Did I mention that I give good back massages? Of course I did. And I do the dishes, too, in case you were wondering.
       Look, I get lots of emails from followers of this blog asking me out. Sadly, that is a lie. No one's asked me out.  Not once. Never. But I am very happy about that, because my goal is to entertain you and to make you smile and nothing more.  I mean, who wants to find the girl of their dreams and fall in love? Bah! Humbug! I like this empty house, thank you very much. I like talking to myself. I win most of my arguments that way.
       But if the right girl came along, I could look past her imperfections.