Monday, May 16, 2011

Single (Again) With Kids

        How do you know when the "right one" comes along? Is there a secret handshake I'm supposed to recognize? Because I just got out of a relationship with someone who seemed more "right" than I deserved. The perverse thing about the break up was that it wasn't her idea or mine, and I don't think either of us wanted to break up. In fact, we'd had a great day with the kids, but something happened (which I'm not revealing) and in that moment, we both knew that it was over. 
        Here's the thing about this girl: she's so great that even my ex-wife thinks she'd be a great step mom.  Her interaction with my children is something to behold. It is beautiful. She's an amazing girl. Sometimes I'd catch myself looking at her, simply awestruck. My children love her and they love her son. My oldest, Jackson, asked when they were coming over again and I had to break it to him that they probably weren't. That wasn't easy. It wasn't easy because, as a parent, you don't want to bring someone into your children's lives who isn't going to be around forever. I thought this girl was the one.  
        My son asked if they could come over just one more time to play. I told him probably not. He asked, "Well, don't you like her anymore?"
        "I still like her," I replied.
        "Oh, so she doesn't like you?"
        "She still likes me."
        "Well, then, why can't she come over anymore?"
        I didn't know how to argue with his simple logic. The best I could come up with was that sometimes grown ups just have to stop dating. I don't think my answer was acceptable to him. It's hardly acceptable to me.
        Jackson had t-ball practice tonight. I guess the boys don't want me to wallow in self-pity too long because, on the way home, whenever the boys saw a girl driving a car, they'd point her out so I could whistle at her. Well, Jackson was pointing out girls. Ethan was trying to trick me into whistling at other guys. He thought that was pretty funny.
        Maybe the "right one" is out there. Or maybe no matter how "right" someone is, rough spots will need polishing. If so, it's possible that the "right one" just got away. 
        Regardless, I am Single (Again) With Kids.