Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Parallels: Dentists and Relationships

I don’t understand why anyone (including me) would really want to be in a relationship.  Maybe it’s the biological imperative to reproduce that draws people together. I don’t know, I’m not a cultural anthropologist (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).
Wanting to be in a relationship is like wanting to go to the dentist: sure, some good might come of it, but there’s a fair chance there’s going to be pain involved, and you might not escape with all of your teeth. Not only that, but both the person you’re in a relationship with and the dentist expect you to routinely brush your teeth. And they both will tell you what to do: one will tell you to take out the garbage, the other will tell you to floss more. Maybe the answer is to simply avoid relationships and avoid dentists. On the other hand, if you have a toothache, the dentist can help. And if you have heartache, your amor can help, too.
I suppose an argument can be made that dentists and relationships are necessary evils. But both should be well stocked with Novocain.